Help for Individuals and Families

Switch to:

Help for Individuals and Families

The American Rescue Plan, a new law recently signed by President Biden, includes significant new funding to help you get through this difficult time. Below please find some tips for you and your family to get the help you need.

You have probably heard the federal government is mailing checks of up to $1,400 to individuals with annual incomes of $75,000 or less ($150,000 or less for a couple), with lesser amounts available to individuals with incomes up to $150,000. If you have not yet received a check and think you are eligible, please visit to find out when you can expect it to arrive.

The new law extended increased unemployment assistance through Sept. 6, 2021. For more information, please call 800-956-3294 or visit the CT Department of Labor.

The federal law increases federal funding to states to administer the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program, which may provide help, including short-term cash benefits and other assistance, to meet your immediate needs. For more information to determine if you are eligible and learn how to get this help, please call 855-626-6632 or visit the economic security - financial assistance webpage.

The new law increased tax credits for low- and middle-income Americans, including the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Child and Dependent Tax Credit. To find more information about these credits and how you can get them, please visit the White House website or sign up for updates on how these tax credits will work.

The new law increases federal grants to states to help you address the unique challenges of caring for your child during the pandemic. For more information on these programs, please call 860-500-4412 or visit the CT Office of Early Childhood

The new law includes more funding for programs that help you get the nutrition you and your family need.

  • The new federal legislation provides additional money to states to help you buy food through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP. To find out if you qualify or for more information, please call 855-626-6632 or visit the CT Health and Human Services Department
  • The law also provides increased food vouchers for pregnant and post-partum women, infants up to age 1, and children up to age 5 through the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program. For more information, please call 800-741-2142 or visit the CT Department of Public Health.

The federal law provides new funds that may help you pay your rent. For more information please call 844-864-8328 or visit the CT Department of Housing.

If you are homeless, at risk of being homeless, or fleeing domestic violence, the new federal law provides states with more help to find you a place to live. For more information, please call 211 or visit the CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.

The law also includes more assistance for low-income individuals to pay their heating bills through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and water bills using funds from the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). To find out if you qualify and how much assistance you may be entitled to, please call 800-842-1132 or visit the CT Health and Human Services Department.

The law increases funding for services for older Americans, including nutrition assistance, COVID-19 support, and help for caregivers. To find out more, please call 860-424-5055 or visit the CT Department of Aging and Disability Services.