A number of changes to 2017 codes went into effect at the start of the new year. Some codes were added and some have been deleted. Below are some changes you need to know:
- Modifier FX: A 20 percent reduction will be applied to all commercial and Medicare claims when radiology codes are billed with this modifier for "X-ray taken using film." This policy follows the guidelines of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- In-office laboratory and radiology policy: New codes have been added to the policy and codes have also been deleted as follows:
- Mammography: We're adding the three new codes of 77065, 77066 and 77067 under the specialties of obstetrics/gynecology and reproductive medicine. These codes will be added to both the commercial and Medicare in-office lab and radiology policies.
- Drug testing: We're adding new codes 80305 and 80306 to replace deleted codes G0477 and G0478 under the pain management specialty. This applies to both commercial and Medicare policies.
- Epidural codes: The new epidural codes of 62320, 62321, 62322, 62323, 62324, 62325, 62326 and 62327 will require preauthorization starting Jan. 1, 2017, for both commercial and Medicare plans. These codes will replace the following codes that have been deleted: 62310, 62311, 62317 and 62318.
We will soon update our online documents and policies to reflect the changes noted above.