The growing misuse and abuse of opioids in Connecticut has become a “public health concern,” according to the State Department of Public Health.
We want to remind health care providers that there are alternative treatment options available to help patients manage their pain without the use of prescription drugs and opioids.
Members may have access to both prescription medication and non-prescription medication alternatives which include, but are not limited to:
- Prescription medication alternatives:
- Topical analgesics
- Cox-2 inhibitors
- Skeletal muscle relaxants
- Non-prescription medication alternatives:
- Chiropractic services
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Physician medicine/rehabilitation
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Nutrition counseling
- Osteopathic manipulation medicine
- Nerve block treatments
- Spine surgery
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit
Please sign in to our provider website to view benefit information for your patients.